I would love to come to your community to teach and learn from you as a Scholar in Residence or Visiting Teacher. I am available for one day or weekend programs.
I have varied presentations on many different subjects. Topics include:
Unique commentaries on the holidays and festivals:
- The Four Children of the Haggdah: Brilliant Rabbinic Wisdom and Tragic Rabbinic Mistake
- The Two Most Important Words of the Entire Seder (Hint: They are Found in the Four Questions)
- How the Rabbis Rewrote the Book of Esther or “I have a Feeling We’re Not in Shushan Anymore“
- Two Hanukkah Songs that Should Never Be Sung Together (But We Do!)
Jewish Lessons from Popular Culture:
- From Allan Sherman to Harry Chapin to Jimmy Buffett: Music and Midrash.
- The Foul Lines as a Jewish Symbol: Judaism’s deep Spiritual Connection to Baseball
- Great moments in classic TV Sitcoms and the Jewish lessons they provide
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T. and Contact: Reflections on Our Obsession with Searching the Heavens
Discussions on Jewish Ritual:
- The Contemporary Meaning of Bar and Bat Mitzvah (With Help from Episodes from Situation Comedies)
- A Study of the 7 Wedding Blessings
- Smell O Israel! The importance of the sense of smell as reflected in traditional Jewish Texts
Study of Midrash on Torah Narratives:
- The Long Road to Mt. Moriah: The Binding of Isaac
- The Family Comes Together: Joseph and His Brothers Reunite
- Angels and Grasshoppers: The Story of the 12 Spies
- The Curious Incident on Mt. Sinai: Moses and the Breaking of the Tables
Personal Reflections and Storytelling:
- The Great-Uncle I never knew: How A Stunning Discovery of Family History led to An Unforgettable Journey and Serious Soul-Searching
- Lessons Learned from Decades of Involvement in Interfaith Dialogue
- The Significance of Human Rights Work in Today’s Rabbinate
- The Rabbi and the Orangutans: Spiritual Reflections of a Zoo Volunteer.
These and other topics will provide an engaging, educational and inspirational experience for your community.